Happy Monday everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend. I was feeling a little under the weather since Friday and was afraid I was catching the flu. It’s that time of year, and I forgot to get my vaccine back in September. Luckily it didn’t progress and was just a 24 hour thing. I’m feeling better today and I’m back with another recipe for you 🙂 Last Thursday we had some family over and had originally planned to barbecue, but with the consistent downpours that South Florida has been experiencing, that just wasn’t an option. I had to think of something that was quick to make and would feed everyone. This recipe for Italian Pie was actually adapted from one of Publix’ Aprons recipes. I changed many of the ingredients to make it a bit healthier, and in my opinion, tastes way better this way!
Italian Turkey Pie
You Will Need:
- 1 lb Ground Turkey (or ground chicken)
- 4 Uncooked Links of Sweet or Hot Italian Sausage (out of casing)
- 1 10oz Box Frozen Chopped Spinach, Thawed and Drained
- 1/2 Small Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 1 15oz Can Seasoned Diced Tomatoes
- 1 4oz Jar of Pimientos
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Low-Fat Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Box Ready-To-Bake Pie Crust
*To take the sausage out of the casing, simply pinch the center of the link and push towards both ends.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, ground turkey, sausage, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Cook until lightly brown.
- Turn heat down to low and add spinach, tomatoes, and pimientos. Cook until heated through.
- Turn heat off, move mixture to a large bowl and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- While the filling is cooling, roll one of the pie crusts into a round or rectangular casserole dish and press down to completely cover the bottom of the dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the bottom pie crust is baking, add 2 of the eggs and cheese to the filling. Stir until combined.
- Take pie crust out of oven. Add the filling and cover with the top pie crust, covering it the best you can. Cut 3 slits into the top to allow steam to escape.
- In a small bowl, scramble the remaining egg. Brush it over the top of pie using a pastry brush. (This is optional but the egg wash makes the crust look nice and shiny) 🙂
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.