Happy Thursday! I hope you are all having a great day. Mine is definitely off to a great start. It’s beautiful warm, breezy day here in South Florida so I had my breakfast outside on the back patio this morning. It was really quiet and relaxing 🙂 While I was out there I was trying to brainstorm something I could bake up using bananas. We have a TON here at the house right now, most of which are almost entirely brown. Overly ripe bananas = banana bread, of course!
I scoured the cabinets trying to find some inspiration as to what I could add to the bread. I noticed a bag of shredded coconut hiding in the back of one of them and I thought that would be a great addition. I then remembered that I picked up a bottle of Watkin’s coconut extract not too long ago for another recipe. I knew I could utilize that as well!
I decided to lightly toast the coconut in this recipe to really bring out the coconut flavor and it really made all the difference! It adds a bit of crunch, too.
Toasted Coconut Banana Bread
You Will Need:
- 3-4 Very Ripe Bananas
- 1/3 Cup Butter, Melted
- 1 Egg, Beaten
- 1/2 Tsp Coconut Extract
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 to 3/4 Cup Sugar (depending on your preference)
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Coconut, Shredded
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or butter a 4×8 inch loaf pan.
- Place your shredded coconut on an ungreased baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your peeled bananas and mash with a fork until little to no lumps remain.
- Add butter, sugar, egg and both extracts. Stir until combined.
- Sprinkle baking soda and salt over mixture. Add in flour, and stir until thoroughly mixed. Fold in toasted coconut.
- Add your mixture to your loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 10-20 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!