Easing into this natural lifestyle has been going well, there have been a few roadblocks but hey…I’m still learning. I’m more conscious of what I’m putting into my body, and I’ve been making it a point to thoroughly read the ingredient list of store-bought items. Not everyone here at home is doing the same so at times it can be hard to ignore the chemical-ridden, processed food that still lurks in our pantry. I’ve had to get creative with what I eat so it doesn’t feel restrictive, because that’s not what I’m going for. When you eat with the mentality of “I get to eat this delicious natural food that my body will thank me for” rather than, “I have to eat this food because I hate my body” it is so much easier and more rewarding.
Often in the warmer months I try to make meals that don’t require turning on the stove or oven (at least for very long). With the exception of dinner, because I usually have to. But for breakfast, it’s easy to throw together something like this fruity parfait. For lunch, a salad & sandwich…something along those lines. Parfaits are so easy to assemble and require few ingredients. As long as those ingredients are wholesome, you’ve got a simple and healthy breakfast. (You could even make one in a mason jar to take on the go.)
The coconut whipped cream that sits atop this parfait is so, so good. However, because it uses the fatty coconut cream I wouldn’t recommend having it every day. It’s just a little something extra that I wanted to showcase in this recipe. If you’re interested in making the coconut whipped cream, make sure you chill the can of coconut milk overnight to allow for separation. I also recommend placing the bowl that you are going to whip it in, in the freezer for at least 10 minutes prior.
Berry & Granola Parfait + Coconut Whipped Cream
You Will Need:
(For the Parfait)
- 1 Cup of Your Favorite Granola
- 1 Cup All-Natural Yogurt (I used Fage)
- 1 Cup Mixed Berries
(For the Coconut Whipped Cream)
- 1 14oz Can Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Layer your parfait ingredients in any order you prefer. I did granola first, yogurt, and then berries. If using strawberries, simply slice them up before layering.
- To make the coconut whipped cream, open your can of coconut milk that has been chilled over night and scoop out the coconut cream that has solidified on top. Place it in your chilled bowl along with the maple syrup & vanilla.
- Using your whisk attachment or a hand mixer, whip it until your desired consistency. Took me about 5-6 minutes for mine.
- Enjoy on top of your parfait or store it in the fridge for later use!
What is a quick, on-the-go breakfast that you enjoy?